FOXTAIL HILL WATER JUMP PHOTO

One of my most satisfying photos that I have taken was a water jump photo on the Old Course at Cheltenham racecourse in October 2017. I wasn't that experienced at the time, nor was I using the most up-to-date camera equipment. However, it was still a shot that I am proud of, not in terms of quality, but because of the thought that went into it and the fact that by 'pulling it off' I was successful in anticipating it happening, in advance. That, to me, is one of the most gratifying parts of this aspect of photography, the planning and the forethought.

I was introduced to the public footpath that surrounds Cheltenham racecourse by a friend who also enjoys his photography. We walked all around the racecourse on the footpath one morning before a days racing earlier in 2017 looking for and discussing photo opportunities. The old course is far better than the new course for photos as it is closer to the footpath. If you watch when horses jump the water jump on TV the camera is understandably on the inside of the course, but the angle of the pictures that are shown doesn't really give you much idea at all about the athleticism of the horses when they clear this obstacle, or how well some of them clear it either. If, however, you are standing side-on to the water jump the perception of the horses's agility becomes far clearer. I immediately noticed this when I watched a few races and then watched them back on the replays later.

I decided that to optimise the photo opportunity at the water jump I really needed a race with a clear front runner. The water jump is fence 7 of 13 over 2 miles at Cheltenham, so if there is a clear front runner in the race he/she will still likely to be in front at the water, given no incidents. Runners jumping upsides from a side on perspective for photography purposes doesn't work very well, hence the need for a horse that is going to make the running on their own. At the showcase meeting in 2017 I was going to attend on the Saturday of the meeting. Usually when I come home from work on a Friday I have my bath, prepare something to eat, and have a look at the cards for the following day's racing.

On this particular evening I was going through the Cheltenham card for the following day and I looked at the 2 mile Randox Health Chase. The more I looked at the race the more it appeared that Foxtail Hill would be the likely front runner. I began to get excited. My heart started beating a little faster. I was checking the weather forecast for the next day and going through possible camera settings in my head. There's a mesh fence that surrounds the course and separates the racecourse from public land, and to be able to get the angle that I wanted I had decided that I was going to take the photo through a hole (the mesh) in the fence from a low down position. I went to bed that night pretty revved up. You probably think I'm mad....all over a photo ! I got up to use the loo in the middle of the night and I was still going through how it was all going to pan out it in my head.

I drove to Cheltenham that morning. I always set off early. If you enjoy going racing you usually can't wait to get there. This time of year you have to set off early anyway with the early starts to the meetings. I usually stop somewhere on the A40 for a bacon roll and a cup of tea and take half an hour or so to flick through the Racing Post. I arrived at the racecourse in plenty of time and decided to go and do a 'reckie' on the footpath before racing. My plan for the day was to go in and out of the racecourse watching some races from the track and some out on the footpath.


Time always seems to go quickly when you are enjoying yourself, and that always seems to be true when spending a day at the races. The 3.10 Randox Health Handicap Chase over two miles was soon upon us. I got myself in my 'test position' as the horses circled at the start, a long way from where I was, but I could just about make out what was happening. I was lying in the autumn leaves. I don't remember it being too damp, but I wasn't in the most comfortable position. A couple of inches lower down with the camera angle can make all the difference in terms of perspective. When I take a photo of a moving subject I will pan with the subject, lock the focus, and track the subject before committing to the shot. I don't usually tend to rapid repeat on the shutter button, as I find that the more you do this, the more likely the camera will move and the less likely you will retain the focus. I tend to shoot only 2 or 3 shots in a sequence, aiming to minimise camera movement and be more selective of what I am shooting, rather than just pot luck. The frames per second of the camera has relevance and I will go into that in more detail at another time.

The race starts. I check the settings on my camera. The light seemed to be constant. Moving clouds and other changing variables can sometimes require you to change your settings mid-race. I get up from my selected position to try and watch the early stages and listen to the commentary. Foxtail Hill has gone into an early lead. I'm deliberating how late I leave it to get back in position. I watched as Foxtail Hill headed up past the Best Mate Enclosure. As he turned down the hill with one fence in front of him before the water he was 3 or 4 lengths clear......BINGO !!!.......I dropped down into position. For the time of year and the time of day the light was reasonably good. Because I was shooting through a mesh fence I wouldn't be able to pan and shoot. I perhaps should have manually focussed the shot but I was relying on the camera's autofocus not to let me down. My heart rate increased. Foxtail Hill and Sam Twiston-Davies approach the water, on their own.....I take a couple of shots, one as he jumps and one in mid-air. The thunder of hooves die down as the horses gallop away in the direction of Cleeve Hill. The more composed you are the more likely you are to get your shot.


I watched as much of the race as I could from my position and I heard the roar go up from the grandstand as Foxtail Hill had managed to 'make all' and go on to win. When this happens the impact value of the photo increases because you haven't just got your shot, you have got the winner too. I had a quick look. I thought it looked ok. Whilst it isn't always easy to tell, you generally have a fair idea of whether the photo is successful or not. The histogram usually gives you a good idea too.

Like I said at the beginning, it isn't the quality of the photo that gives me the satisfaction, because I am far more advanced now than I was then, it is just the whole story behind the photo, that has set me on a learning curve and a photographic adventure that I believe has allowed me to explore different avenues and enjoy my racing through the lens of my camera. I find it a challenge and it is a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy and I wish that I had discovered the benefits of it a lot sooner in life. I would highly recommend enhancing your life with something so enjoyable.

Thanks for reading.

Camera settings for the photo :
White Balance - auto, Shutter - 1/1000, Iso - 400, Aperture - f6.3
















Comments

  1. I have really enjoyed reading this, thank you Michael xx Photo's are amazing, as always xx My daughter, Olivia, has always had an interest in taking photos at racecourses, (only on her iphone unfortunately) but she would like to do more. She loves NH racing and loves to be able to get near a fence to take photos, (braver than me). Towcester was good for us, but also been to Newbury, (where we met you) and Olivia loved it that we could go over the course on the stand by the last fence at Newbury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this, Jane. i think it is a healthy interest for youngsters and should be encouraged. Olivia takes some lovely photos at the races. Hope to see you both again soon x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REST IN PEACE MICHAEL CURRAN x

A TRIBUTE TO UN DE SCEAUX

LION BRIDGE, HARRY MEADE AND AWAY CRUISING, BURGHLEY 2018